Saturday, July 19, 2014

Vest Upcycle

Recently, when not working on publishing my writing (eek!), looking after my girls, or any of those various house-hold things that a stay at home mum does, I've been making a vest for Sophie. We got her one from Coles on sale that is not really big enough, but I figured I could trace the pattern and make a new one for her. Excellent chance to use snaps and practice quilting things. Hooray!


 So I've done just that. It took a little longer than I expected, because I get distracted by things and then I think about things, and then I try to take short cuts and have to unpick a whole lot of things, but I managed to finish it off during last Monday's nap time.


The black material is actually an old hoodie of Steve's (affectionately called "Pintsize" (the name of the little android on the front)). I knew I'd been saving it for something and I'm glad to see it live again. And that pocket on the front right (left as you look at it) is still usable. Yay! The frog stuff is another random hand me down from who knows where. Steve liked both materials, and wanted me to make it reversible. Yeah right. Instead, I flipped the back panel, so the fun frogs are out and the boring black is in. I like it.


As with most things I sew, it's big. In fact, it might not fit Sophie for another two years or so, but at least it's ready. Can't call me unprepared! This was Sophie wearing it this morning (with her frog hat on backwards, hilarious. :D)


This vest marks the  best binding job I've ever done though. Hooray! I'm progressing in life! I bought three meters of the stuff from Spotlight thinking it would be plenty. This was all I had left:


So glad I didn't have to go back for more.

No comments: