During the holidays, one of the goals was to make some more clothes for Sophie. She had put on one of the skirts I made her last year (you can find them here) and I had noticed that it was looking rather short. So time for some new ones. While I was at it, I thought I would try out a new pattern that I had picked up on sale: Clover Shorts by Mouse House Creations.
These shorts are so fancy and nice. They have loads of options when you are sewing them, and go all the way up to a size 12! Talk about a long lasting pattern. When I was considering fabric options for these, I actually read the fabric requirements on the pattern for a change, not something I usually do, but as Sophie is getting bigger, I'm noticing I need to use more material (obviously), so I was cautious.
After reading the requirements, I realised I did't have quite enough of this green train print to make the shorts. Even just looking at the basic shorts (no ruffles, or bow/sash). I really wanted to use the fabric though, because I knew Sophie would love it, just like she loved her train dress (made from the same material, just in a blue).
So I spent a good hour or so looking through my scraps, finding fabrics that could coordinate, working out if I had enough. The plan was to make the pockets out of the pink, and maybe the cuffs too, depending on how much I had. After all of my searching and planning and phone calls to my sister in Melbourne for coordination advice, when I actually laid out the pattern, I had enough of the green train material anyway!
So I decided I wouldn't waste the coordinating colour that had taken me so long to find, and make the bow/sash after all. I also stuck some pretty pink on the inside of the pockets too. Just for fun. I think it works well.