Thursday, April 13, 2017

I Cannot Celebrate Yet

Last week I handed in my final workbook for Tafe. It's official people, I have no more deadlines hanging over my head. But I can't celebrate yet, because even though the workbooks are in, they still need to be assessed, and some of those assessors are incredibly picky. So I'm expecting to have to do some kind of resubmitting before I can officially say that I'm done.

But man does it feel good to be nearly there. I quickly celebrated with a lull in most activity and then surge of sewing. It's so nice to sew. I looked back at the blog history, and I haven't sewn anything since December last year. Before Christmas. That's over three months of sewing hiatus. Too long.


I used a free pattern from The Sewing Rabbit, for these two dresses. It's really easy because there are no closures - no buttons or zips! Hooray! It uses a bit more fabric, but it's worth it for the easiness of the sewing. I had the fabric on hand anyhow. I did leave out two of the ties on each dress - you put them on the sides of the skirt to carry the ties/knot theme through, but I couldn't be bothered.


The material for Sophie's is from mum, I think she got it in Japan before Sophie was born (or when she was very young). It's gorgeous. I used some hand me down scraps from a lady from church for the lining which matched really well. The skirt part is really twirly, because there is heaps of fabric allowed for it. You could totally get away with using less, but I had enough, and I know Sophie does love to dance in twirly dresses.


This is the first time I've made this dress, and it's pretty big, which works really well because we are coming into winter, so the girls can keep wearing them with shirts underneath for warmth. Rachel's was so big on her littleness that I ended up putting a tuck in the back to stop it gaping, but it looks so cute and she loves it. Her dress is made out of a cot sheet I got from a friend.



You can kind of tell because I used the feature of the sheet as a part of the skirt front, but it could also just be extra design, so it passes. I did leave the tag on the inside though, just for authenticity. Rachel really likes her's, but I had problems because the moment Sophie saw it, she wanted to know why she didn't get stars. Despite the fact that only moments ago she was completely in love with her bear dress.

No comments: