Tuesday, August 25, 2015

This is Life

I feel I've finally gotten the hang of having four kids. They all nap at the same time! This must mean I've got it right? Either that, or something terrible is waiting just around the corner to spring on me now that I'm finally getting ahead. Whatever.

Steve and I have spent the last few weekends being handy. We planned, measured, cut, drilled, and even chiselled! I painted. And also hammered. Now we have a sandpit. Words can not describe just how great it is to have this. The amount of hours that my girls alone spend it in make it worth it. Not to mention Hugo and Penelope, and the visitors with kids. So great. 



I've been reading a bit more in my down time. Little things that are easy and make me feel that all is right with the world. Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George, An Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye and more recently a collection of short stories by Garth Nix. These make me want to write more, because he's so fabulous, and at the same time, not, because I could never be quite so good.

There is a furniture place down the road from us that Steve noticed was having a sale, so we wandered on down one morning for a look, thinking we would suss out the price of bunk beds. There were no bunk beds there, but we got a wardrobe for cheep. Then I had to spend a week reorganising all of the rooms, because no one had the furniture they were supposed to end up with. It was fun to go through stuff and organise furniture, but also time consuming. 

In our room, we ended up with an extra set of drawers that we didn't really need, but Steve said he'd prefer my material to be stored in the drawers, rather than as it currently was on a bookshelf. (I did protest because I can fit more on a bookshelf, than in drawers, but not for long, because even I had to concede that I probably had too much material stashed away.)

The good news I have to share is that Sally has magically fixed herself. Not two nights after I was sure she was broken for real this time, I opened her up to demonstrate to Steve just how broken she was and she started working again. I can not explain it, but I'm happy that my sewing machine is back in action. 

Subsequently I dug through the material that was now stored in drawers and found the sheet sets that Steve's mum kept from his child hood. I cut out seven capes and matching pairs of shorts. I don't want to give too much away yet, but they are going to look awesome and I still have stacks of that material left (Steve's mum kept two full sheet sets and two doona covers too - material heaven!).

We've been studying Hosea in bible study on a Wednesday night. Though I have done this study before and Hosea is somewhat repetitive, it's been refreshing. God is an amazing balance of love and justice, and the way he always wants his people to come back to him is phenomenal. That's what make him amazing I guess.

Anyway, Sophie has just awoken, so I suppose we will go and do some cooking together now. It's a rather delightful way to pass the afternoon. 

No comments: