Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Mail Call

I've been pretty run off my feet the last few weeks so much so that I haven't really had a chance to do much sewing at all. I sit and look longingly at Sally the Sewing Machine some days. Soon, I promise her, soon I'll take you out again.

We had a really busy last week because our niece, Matilda, was baptised and we had a sudden influx of family members hanging around for food and staying the night. Not the least was Steve's Nana who came up from Sydney and stayed a week to spend time with her grandchildren and great grandchildren. It was really lovely, but meant that we had not much free time for ourselves.

The other news that I've yet to share with you is that I've started looking after another baby part time. I wasn't keen when the mum asked me to look after her six month old, but she was really unhappy with the childcare they had and I felt for her. I wouldn't want to leave my girls anywhere I wasn't happy with. Thoughts like "It's only three days a week. You said you'd do term three while they are looking for another place, that's only ten weeks." also crept in to help me rationalise it.

Really, a six month old is so young and pretty care intensive (even when they are as chilled as this one is) because they can't do anything for themselves. Not my ideal situation, looking after four kids under three, but it's for a season.

Anyway, even with all my complaining and excuses about not being able to do anything with my time, I did get a small project done on the weekend which I'm pretty pleased about. It has taken me this long to post because I had to get action photos, which I couldn't do till I visited my parents place today.

Without further ado, I give you a mail bag.


Last Wednesday at my parents, the Sophie saw the postman delivering the mail in the street, which isn't particularly new or ground breaking, but it was the first time that it stuck with her and she proceeded to hop on the little toy bike they have there and deliver imaginary mail all afternoon. "This will not do," I thought to myself. "I can make a mail bag easily, it won't take long."


It really didn't. It took slightly longer because I got a bit fancy and stuck and Australia Post logo on the front and then the Japan Post logo on the other side and made it reversible. But even that didn't take long.


When I took it over today and put it on the bike, I was so glad that it fit, because I made it without taking measurements at all. The thing is prefect and made from scraps. It uses loops to hang off the handle bars that just slip on (sorry Dad, no velcro here). The whole thing is reversible and well made. I hope the kids use it for years to come. Actually, I'm sure they will.


That mail they are all enthusiastically delivering is cardboard that I cut out and wrote on. There are blank ones there for the girls to fill in themselves too. One day. Cardboard yo. It's the best.

No comments: