Friday, March 29, 2013

Sally is back! She just needed a clean and now her thread tension issue is all gone. I spent all of yesterday sewing; and I mean all of yesterday. The coolest thing I made was a dress for Sophie to wear to Kristan's wedding in two weeks. She's still so little and I know it won't fit for long, but it's super cute.


I am really proud of the end product (although you can tell it's home made if you look closely) because I had to make the pattern myself. There are not a lot of dress patterns for little girls under 18 months, I guess because really, they are a little impractical for that first year. I took inspiration from The Itty Bitty Baby Dress, and The Party Dress (both free patterns found online) and then did some juggling to make the final dress. I really wanted a sash with a bow, but given that Sophie lies on her back most of the time, it would be quite uncomfortable, so it will have to wait.


Look she likes it! It's a little big, but that's ok. All the material was hand me downs from my Mum (will the supply never run out? Here's hoping!) and I've still got a huge chunk of that blue flowery stuff left, so be prepared for more dresses in that. :)


The bunting for under the shelves turned out quite nicely. The scalloped stuff is less intrusive than the triangles. :)

Itty Bitty Baby Dress: http://www.made-by-rae.com/2008/04/free-itty-bitty-baby-dress-pattern/
The Party Dress: http://thecottagehome.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/party-dress-printable-pattern-and.html


2 comments:

Ruth said...

How fun Paula!! I'm so glad your sewing machine is fixed!!! :) Well done with the dress! :)

Ostinato Seaker said...

Thanks Ruth! I did the quilt squares too. I'm not sure I'm getting the 1/4 inch right, but it turned out ok. :) I also made a bag today. So much sewing!!