Monday, March 25, 2013

I've been reading "No Wonder They Call Him the Savior" by Max Lucado in my quiet times recently. I've read it before, actually, I've owned it for nearly 10 years now, but it's always a thought provoker. This time I noticed something pretty basic.

I've always called the book "No Wonder They Call Him Savior". Maybe I was just trying to make it shorter in conversation or in my hasty reading style, maybe I never saw that extra word, but I've noticed it in the title now; "No Wonder They Call Him the Savior".

Those three little letters make all the difference. Jesus isn't one of the many saviors, he's not an optional extra. He is the savior. You can't sit on the fence about this one. Jesus is the only way. There is no believing in Jesus and following Buddha. You can't try to take a bit of everything. With Jesus it's all or nothing.

At the Deacons meeting on Saturday, Mark had us read through John 21:15-17. We then turned to the person next to each other and asked the question that Jesus asked Peter.

"Do you love Jesus?"

Three times.

What a challenge  Because I love Jesus, but I also love other things. Things that are actually taking my time away from loving Jesus. Do I truly love Jesus?

Clear the stage and set the sound and lights ablaze
If that's the measure you must take to crush the idols

Anything I put before my God is an idol
Anything I want with all my heart is an idol
And anything I can't stop thinking of is an idol
And anything that I give all my love is an idol

- Clear the Stage by Jimmy Needham

No comments: