Tuesday, March 25, 2008

So I really wanted to forget about life at the moment, and my answer to that in the past has been to read. Only today, reading isn’t really enough, not that I have time to do it anyway. Today there is more of a need to write. To write a story, any story. A story where happy things happen. Where there is no horrible struggle with sins and temptation or the question about what to do with life is never raised. A story where people just do what they do. You grow up, you have fun, you fall in love.

But these stories don’t exist. So I can’t write one.

The next best thing is a story with bad things that happen but things that turn out all right in the end. Those endings that are supposed to happen, because they are just right. Like the end of “Old Magic” where Jarrod stands up for Kate in front of all the cool kids. Or like the end of the Lioness Quartet where Alanna marries George and lives happily as a knight ever after.

But what is my happy ending? How can I write when I don’t know how I want things to turn out? What am I supposed to do?

Dear God, help me to remember that this isn’t my story. This is your story. And it does have a happy ending.

1 comment:

Miat said...

Wow, similar thoughts. I was contemplating that myself the other week - I realised that I've been reading heaps these last months and it's because I don't want to think about jobs and careers and future stuff. But I can't quite be bothered writing a decent amount of story.

But you know what, those kinds of stories where you grow up and have fun and fall in love... they do exist. They're called romance. =P


Actually, it's not just romance that allows stories like that. I can think of a few that, although there's conflict and stuff to make things interesting, it's not bad conflict (or at least, not bad to the main character). Take Daja's story (which I have read before btw). Possibly the worst things that happen to her is that she finds out she has to teach the twins and she finds out the hero fire fighter is actually the one lighting the fires (and that one comes at the very end). Everything else is just what she'd do on a normal day.