Monday, December 10, 2007

Monday 10-12-07

Woah – the start of our last week! Exciting!! Saturday night I went to an onsen with Ibuki. No one else from the team was game enough for it, and the people who went to the “Returnee’s Party” were pretty wiped out anyway. Ibuki being the legend she is, picked me up and drove us there. If I had been thinking I would have planned it better so she could have had dinner with us as well, as it was, she had dinner alone at her house first before coming. Oh well.

The onsen was super cool. It was packed, and a lot of mothers had their children with them. Everything is blurry once my glasses are off, so it was all wonderful. My most favourite bath (there are many different types) was the outside one. You sit in 40 Degree water, but the air around you is probably only about 14 Degrees. It’s the perfect balance.

We spent about an hour there and then drove home. Ibuki came in and hung out with us for a while (Shiho and Cecilia were still up) and then went home. Again if I’d planned it better she could have stayed over instead of driving back home and then having to drive back to pick us up in the morning, but oh well.

Sunday morning, Esther and George were almost on time for church! Ibuki picked us up at 10:15 and we drove to pick up Stephanie, who is a Canadian teacher at the Christian school that Jody’s children go to. Then we went to church. On the way there, we realised that the strange smell in the car was actually George’s finger. So we rolled down the windows and he put it outside for most of the trip. Ibuki asked if he had been disinfecting it every day and when he said no she was pretty horrified. (she is studying to be a doctor!) When we got to church she took him to the bathroom and disinfected it all for him.

Apparently 2 weeks ago, when the pastor had asked us to do our testimonies I said I would play and sing something. I can’t for the life of me remember saying yes to something like that, but since George had done his testimony 2 weeks ago, Esther and I were up.

Esther was pretty nervous, but she did a great job. The funniest part was when she said “I got distracted with guys” and the pastor who was translating didn’t understand “guys”. So I’m translating it to Japanese to him and then he’s translating my Japanese to the congregation.

I didn’t end up telling my testimony, I just said “I became a Christian in Japan, so Japan has always been a big part of my walk with God. I’ve been so encouraged to be here working with Japanese Christians at universities and seeing you here at church. It is fantastic to know that Japanese people are reaching out for God and there are places they can find him.” Or something like that.

Afterwards I played Grace Like Rain (when I sat at the piano, the pastor was trying to bring a mic over for me to sing into, and I said “oh no, I don’t need that, my voice is really big” :D I’m so glad he believed me).

The sermon was given by one of the older people from the church and it was on Mark 10 and Luke 2. Both stories about children. He really challenged us to think about how we are going to come to God. Are we going to cover up and put on a show and wear badges saying we are number one, or are we going to come like children, who know nothing and have nothing to offer?

After church we said goodbye to people and then headed off to Ramen. Ibuki wanted to take George there because she knew that this was our last Sunday. The Ramen place was super cool, and the chef’s where so funny when we walked in. We had pork Ramen (noodles in soup) and giyousa (dumplings) and then were off again to go meet Andy, Shiho, Rita (girl from Nishin Church) and Amiee (Jody’s daughter) at karaoke!!

Something Stephanie said in the car was that she had been listening to a sermon on the “Dog and Cat principle”. Dogs get taken care of, fed, washed, looked after and they think “you look after me – you must be God!”. Cats get taken care of, fed, washed, looked after and they think “you look after me – I must be God!” It’s important to make sure that we are remembering to think like dogs, not cats, but then also to take it further and think “you are looking after me – how can I show people that you are great?”. So taking it one step more and realising that not only is God the main character in the story, but that everything is for his glory.

We got to Karaoke at about 2:30 and booked the room out until 4:30. Amiee showed up a bit late, but it was really fun over all – probably the last time I’ll get to go!

After that Ibuki was dropping me home (listening to a worship CD I’ve lent her (honestly, she’s only got one from the 1980’s!! it’s SO old!!)) and she asked if we could go by a drug store and get George some disinfectant. She’s so funny, I think she’ll make a great doctor because she’s so caring.

We got home and had fried Asian style Pasta (soy sauce) which I put cheese on, for dinner and then hung out before our team meeting.

After our team meeting and a few games of take two, we wound up and went to bed. Now it’s Monday again! Last Monday on campus! I feel like there is lots to do, but I also feel like I’ve got more time to do it in. Crazy! I’ll be home in just over a week. Weee!

No comments: