Monday, July 16, 2007

So on Saturday night, possibly the very first Youth Movie Night ever was held at St Matthews Anglican Church Holland Park. It was a scary scary adventure and I had a fair amount of opposition from a few people and I think everyone, even me had their doubts, but God really came through and blessed the night; everyone remained safe and healthy, the games were fun, the pizza tasted great and the atmosphere was happy.

I had a prayer goal of 15 people and when 13 was the final number (2 people pulling out at the last minuet and 1 just not turning up :P) i was thanking God. We started off with playing funky games like "I've never..." and get to know you activities like the M&M game. The younger kids were a bit reserved, but loosened up as the night went on and by the time pizza arrived, everyone was having fun. We settled down to watch the first movie "The Incredibles" and then played a few more games when it was over.

The under 15's and a few of the St Lukes crowd left at about 10 and while waiting for a late dad to pick up the last of them, we talked about Baptism and what it means for us and why we do it. There was some interesting points raised and it was a fairly comfortable atmosphere, so i don't think anyone was feeling weird.

We then watched Bruce Almighty (Ben fell asleep hehehe) and then headed to bed at the reasonable hour of 1 am. Despite it being a cold night, most of us slept through till about 6:30 or so when we woke up to make pancakes (marshmellow ones!!) and then clean up our mess.

Talking to people afterwards, most were glad to hear the night had been a success. Others were surprised and I just wonder if God can keep pulling off surprises for them - will they change their thinking and jump on board to help out? I wonder what it will take to make someone who continues to doubt that things will turn out all right if you trust God really believe that he will come through for them?

As for me,

"I have told all your people about your justice. I have not been afraid to speak out, as you, O Lord, well know. I have not kept the good news of your justice hidden in my heart; I have talked about your faithfulness and saving power. I have told everyone in the great assembly of your unfailing love and faithfulness."

Psalm 40:9&10

No comments: